Minneapolis Public Schools
Minneapolis, MN, United States
Education, Bilingual, Administrative
Below is specific information for you to consider about this position.
Job Title: School Secretary - Wellstone - Spanish Bilingual and Requisition ID number: 45582
Close Date: 11:59 PM on 01/10/2019
Organizational Unit: Wellstone Intl High School (10000110)
Site: Wellstone Intl High School (0363)
FTE: 40 hours/week; this is based on full-time equivalency with 1.0 being full time
Functional Area: Clerical
Resume and Cover Letter are mandatory to apply for any position.
Wellstone International High School provides innovative English and content instruction for students ages 17 to 21. A Wellstone education empowers students to fully participate in society and prepares them for post-secondary education. Wellstone International High School (WIHS) provides an equitable education for English Learners (ELs) by meeting academic and social-emotional needs. WIHS builds on the assets and experiences of ELs’ multilingualism and multiculturalism.
Under general supervision, performs clerical and secretarial support for an MPS elementary or middle school site; provides information and assistance to MPS staff, students and clients; resolves operational issues, using knowledge of the operations and policies of MPS.
Functions specific to site:
Secretary will be responsible for all finance, school support services, customer service with students and families, staff support and first responder. Must have ability to fluently speak and write in the Spanish language.
*Native Spanish speaker preferred.
* Provide clerical and standard secretarial support for the School Principal; perform administrative support duties and work independently, and makes appropriate decisions based on experience.
* Collect data and report information; maintain accounts for budget, grant funds, purchasing, payroll, timekeeping, transportation, enrollment, attendance, registration, and records requests.
* Keep daily attendance records for staff and records of overtime and compensation time; assists with managing timekeeping records and payroll reporting; secures substitutes to cover classrooms.
* Maintain computer database and files; enter data; research electronic and paper files, records, and documents; review and update statistical information, reports and technical documents.
* Order, receive and distribute supplies and equipment. Monitor school security system, lock and unlock doors, and manage key controls.
* Provide customer service, information and assistance to MPS staff, students, parents, visitors and others having business with MPS; coordinate communication at school site; explain MPS rules, policies and procedures.
* Access MPS files, and locate information for clients, staff, local agencies and others as authorized; prepare and distribute school calendar, information packets and other communications.
* Apply judgment and knowledge of the operations of the school to resolve problems and make work process decisions; refer matters requiring policy interpretation to supervisor for resolution.
* May coordinate, prioritize, cross-train and review work of clerical and support staff.
* Applicable policies, procedures and regulations covering specific areas of assignment.
* Specialized MPS and state agency software applications and network operating environments.
* Customer service principles, protocols and methods.
* Local community resources and community services programs.
* Principles of record keeping and records management.
* Professional standards for business correspondence, writing, spelling and grammar. Business and personal computers, including spreadsheet, word processing, and database software applications.
* Preferred knowledge of MPS organization, operations, policies and procedures.
*Providing effective customer service, and dealing tactfully and courteously with the public.
*Operating business computers with standard and specialized software applications.
Spanish: provides secretary support to site with a majority of Spanish speaking students/families.
High School Diploma or GED equivalent AND three years of office administration and computer experience in a public school district; OR an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Final candidates may be invited to interview with a committee. Final appointment to this position will be contingent upon passing a criminal background check.
COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY:
Diversity is one of Minneapolis Public Schools core values and is essential to our goal of putting children first and making them college-ready. Diversity of our workforce provides us with a competitive advantage and allows us to better understand, communicate with and educate our diverse student body. Minneapolis Public Schools will not deny anyone the opportunity for training or employment because of sex, race, religion, color, creed, national origin, marital status, age, sexual preference, disability or status with regard to public assistance.
Minneapolis Public Schools strongly encourages diverse candidates to apply.
Posting Notes: | 12:01 AM On 01/10/2019 | Wellstone Intl High School (10000110) | Wellstone Intl High School (0363) | Clerical
Minneapolis Public Schools
Website : http://www.mpls.k12.mn.us/
We exist to ensure that all students learn. We support their growth into knowledgeable, skilled and confident citizens capable of succeeding in their work, personal and family lives into the 21st century. Vision Every child college and career ready